5/01/2006

I have no idea

... where I have come across this false friend for the first time. For all I know, it was either a TV series or a movie and the German translation - you may have guessed it - was "Ich habe keine Idee...". The correct translation would have to be "Ich habe keine Ahnung ...", although I must admit at this point that I have already heard native speakers of German form phrases beginning with "Ich habe keine Idee dazu". Hm. Does that mean that false friends are on the verge of becoming 'real friends' from hearing false translations so often that people start to take them as the correct version?

I have no idea...

2 Comments:

At 8:21 PM, Blogger Philipp Lenssen said...

My sister told me my use of "ein Foto schiessen" and "eine Dusche nehmen" are both false friends. Hmm, irgendwann kann man es selbst nicht mehr beurteilen...

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger renovatio06 said...

That's what real friends (and family) are for: To tell you the difference :-) thx 4 placing a comment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home