5/07/2006

'Idioms-Night'

Out of a sudden mood, I decided to go see Brokeback Mountain last night. Although I would like to think of myself as a fairly fluent speaker of English, I must admit that I wouldn't have had a chance of understanding a thing, if the movie hadn't been subtitled. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal are mumbling their 136 minutes of film to a degree, where their utterances can barely be perceived as spoken language, but rather an uncontrolled stream of sound. A complete pest!

On a more positive note, the film is still worth seeing it and gave me the opportunity to identify quite a number of idioms. Expressions like 'to be a spitting image of s.o.' (jmdm. wie aus dem Gesicht geschnitten sein) or 'she talks a bluestream' (sie redet ohne Punkt und Komma/wie ein Wasserfall) are what 'separates men from boys', i.e. less proficient from the more experienced speakers of a foreign language.

These are but two examples of a wide variety of rather colloquial expressions that were being used throughout the dialog in the movie, and I enjoyed learning them an awful lot. To those who have seen the movie, which other idioms can you remember?

Technorati Tags: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Tolk said...

I am so glad that I was not the only who felt that these two did not really make themselves very clear most of the time. I saw BM in Strasbourg with French subtitles. However, as I don't speak much French, they were not of much help for me... I did enjoy the film very much even though their language did startle me somewhat as I do consider myself to be rather fluent in English.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home